Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion & the Fall of Imperial Russia by Candace Fleming

This nonfiction book chronicles the lives of the Romanov family, the last of the Tsar’s of Russia.  Beginning with the life history of Tsar Nicholas II, the book tells the tale of his meeting Alexandra, their courtship and marriage, and the subsequent children that arrived.  The book ends with their brutal murder and the mystery surrounding what happened to one of their most famous daughters, Anastasia.  Interposed throughout the book are facts about Russia’s history as well as first-hand reports from peasants and workers as to what their life was like during the same time period.

Content Notes:                       
While the book ends with the famous murders of the Romanov family, the book was tastefully written.  I would recommend this to any middle school or higher student interested in learning more about Anastasia, the Romanov family, or Russia during World War I.

 
Teacher Notes:
I loved this book & had a hard time putting it down.  I’ve always been fascinated with the story surrounding Anastasia Romanov and this book chronicled her life in a way I hadn’t seen before.  I highly recommend this book to my students!

Book Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyxp8_crFNM&list=PLmfsLzvqhAW5W4xzKV8h5UWuL-i3aJZNQ&index=16

 

No comments:

Post a Comment